Rosanne Dingli

Rosanne Dingli

Monday, June 6, 2011

Short story featured at Twisterpalooza

Image courtesy www.fanpop.com
Submitting to literary journals and participating in competitions was how I started out writing. We all start somewhere, and I can remember my frequent walks out to my physical mailbox, eagerly seeking acceptances and results. The postman thought I was cuckoo - no one waited for mail in the country town I lived in at the time. We chatted often. He was amazed the town had an author. I was amazed too - especially when something I wrote and sent out actually found a home... or brought home a prize.

It happened every now and then - I published close on eighty short stories that way. I was happy, but the country was not for me. It was in one of those 'Shall I move closer to the sea' periods that I got the idea for a short story. It was not until a full six years later that I wrote it. Today, it resides in my collection Making a Name, which is available in paperback and Kindle at Amazon and wherever good books are sold online.

I was asked recently to take part in the Twisterpalooza contest, held to mark Mark Hunter's launch of his book Stormchaser. So I sent him "Rainstorms" since he wanted something weather-based. He announced the results just after his publisher released Stormchaser, and voila - I did not win, but he still posted my story and I am very proud to see it aired like that. Please feel free to go and read it at Slightly off the Mark.

I must add a note here about following authors: do keep in touch with your favourite authors. What can you do to spread the word, or otherwise support the writer of your favourite works? All writers - established, emerging and just starting out - need support. Do it by subscribing to their newsletter, frequenting their blog, commenting on their columns, and buying their books, of course.

To subscribe to my new newsletter, just send an email to the contact address here, and you will receive exclusive news about my next novel. And do let me know what you think about my writings, here and elsewhere.

2 comments: